Booking Terms & Conditions
By booking on any of our courses you agree to abide by our terms and conditions.
Ingredients, and use of utensils, knives, equipment and aprons are provided with all courses. Some meals are included in the course cost - please see appropriate course details for further information.
We reserve the right to make amendments to course content and recipes without notice.
What's not included
Prices do not include accommodation. Please refer to our website here for accommodation details and prices.
Unless otherwise stated the minimum age requirement for a course is 18 years old. Where we accept minors (under 18) on a course the booking will need to be authorised and made by the parent or legal guardian of the student.
If you are unsure as to your skill requirements for a course, please phone us so we can help ascertain your level of experience before booking. We rely on students being able to self assess their own skill level and are happy to assist with this but cannot be held liable if you book a course much higher or lower than your actual skill level. Please contact us if you are in doubt.
Health & Safety
All participants should wear shoes with flat, non-slip soles and covered toes, preferably leather. We cannot admit you to the cookery school without proper footwear. We recommend wearing sensible clothing ie not your best outfit - we are not liable for any damage that occurs to clothing. Long hair must be tied back in the kitchen. All course participants will receive a short briefing on health and safety before commencing the course as well as a printed handout to take with them.
Special dietary requirements, food allergies & illness:
We are unable to tailor our course content for special dietary requirements unless you are booking a minimum of 10 places on the course. However, we will be happy to discuss course content beforehand to allow you to make your own alternative eating arrangements if necessary. There is no reduction in fee in this instance.
All our 1 day, weekend and 5 day courses offer an Ashburton Cookery School certificate upon successful completion of a cookery course.
All payments should be made in full at the time of booking. We do not take provisional bookings and cannot confirm your place on a course or for accommodation until we receive full payment.
Cancellations and Refunds
We operate a strict cancellation policy for all cookery courses. Please refer to our full cancellation policy for further information.
If the School considers that you have behaved in an unacceptable manner, the School will be entitled to exclude you from any course you are currently enrolled on or booked in the future. If the School is unable to reallocate your place, no refund of fees will be made.
Cookery Courses & Gift Vouchers
Upon successful completion of an order with us you will receive confirmation of your order by email to your nominated email address, or if requested a copy by post.
If you have requested a postal gift voucher we aim to send these out by Royal Mail first class post on the next business day, or if you have specified, Special Next Day Delivery. Please note that Royal Mail delivery services are outside of our control, and we can take no responsibility for delays in their service such as strikes, extreme weather etc.
- The School will not accept responsibility for the loss or damage of any personal possessions.
- The School will not be liable for any loss suffered by you which is indirect, special or consequential.
- The School will not exclude or limit in any way our liability to you where it would be unlawful to do so. This includes liability for death or personal injury caused by our negligence or the negligence of our employees, agents or subcontractors; for fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation; for breach of your legal rights in relation to the services we are providing.
- The School will not be liable for any loss suffered by you resulting from any event which is beyond the reasonable control of the School.
- The acknowledgement or processing of an order or quote does not constitute legal acceptance of your order or quote.
- An order or quote is deemed accepted only upon receipt of full payment for the total value of the order.
- The order confirmation contains all of the contractual terms agreed between you, the invoice addressee and the School.
- No failure or delay by the School in enforcing any of its rights under the Contract shall be deemed to be a waiver of such right.
- The Contract shall be governed by English law.
Copyright & Acceptable Usage
Ashburton® is a Registered trademark, number UK00003915757.
Full copyright of course content developed by the Ashburton Cookery School is retained by the Cookery School. Course notes and reference materials are provided to support students in their studies and ongoing cookery development and is issued for personal use only.
A lot of work has gone into the development of our course content and it has commercial value. The sharing of course materials by print, press, photocopy, email, blogs, internet or any digital transfer medium is strictly prohibited without the express written permission of the Ashburton Cookery School Directors. If in doubt, please ask about what is and isn't acceptable usage.
How we may use your personal information
Other Important Terms
- Nobody else has any rights under this contract. This contract is between you and us. No other person shall have any rights to enforce any of its terms.
- If a court finds part of this contract illegal, the rest will continue in force. Each of the paragraphs of these terms operates separately. If any court or relevant authority decides that any of them are unlawful, the remaining paragraphs will remain in full force and effect.
- Even if we delay in enforcing this contract, we can still enforce it later. If we do not insist immediately that you do anything you are required to do under these terms, or if we delay in taking steps against you in respect of your breaking this contract, that will not mean that you do not have to do those things and it will not prevent us taking steps against you at a later date.
- Which laws apply to this contract and where you may bring legal proceedings. These terms are governed by English law and you can bring legal proceedings in the English courts.
Cancellations & Refunds
Our cancellation policy is designed to give customers the freedom to change a course booking without penalty when enough notice is given, but we have some conditions around short notice cancellations which have an impact on other customers and our business. We will always try and help wherever possible, but please familiarise yourself with our terms of cancellation below.
Travel Insurance is Strongly Recommended
We strongly recommend travel insurance for all students that will cover your costs in the event of you being unable to attend your course.
Travel insurance will cover you for many issues that may prevent you from attending your course such as illness, sickness of an immediate relative, travel disruption etc. We will assist you with invoices and paperwork in support of your claim on your insurance.
Terms of Cancellations
To request a cancellation you must give the School written notice (either via letter or our contact form) of your request. Unless you have received a written acknowledgement from us that we have received your request you cannot consider your request delivered.
Please note there is an administration and handling charge for course cancellations, rebooking and changing courses/dates (“Cancellation Fee(s)”), this is to offset the costs incurred, including but not limited to admin fees and card processing fees.
Cancellation Admin Fees
|Course Type||21 Days+ Notice||21 Days to 48 hours||Less than 48 hours|
|Cook-to-go & Half-Day||£0||£25||£35|
|1 Day Courses||£0||£25||£50|
|5 Day Courses||£0||£35||£50|
|Cancellation Fees listed are inclusive of VAT.|
You may only terminate the contract in the circumstances set out below, all cancellations are subject to the relevant Cancellation Fee as identified above:-
Cancellations under the Consumer Contracts Regulations 2013
within 14 days of booking Confirmation
Except in the case bookings made within 14 days of the course start date, if you are a consumer and are not booking a course for purposes connected with a business and provided that you contact us within 14 days after receiving Confirmation from us, starting from the date after the booking is made (the “Cancellation Period”), then you have a legal right to cancel the booking by notifying us either via letter or our contact form. We will refund any Fees you have paid within 7 working days of receiving your cancellation notice minus the Cancellation Fee (at our discretion). Please note that if you make your booking less than 14 days prior to the course commencing, you waive your statutory right to cancel with a full refund.
You may also request a refund up to 21 days of the start of the course you have booked, a Cancellation Fee as identified above will be deducted from the refund amount.
Course Cancellations within 21 days of the start of your course
Most bookings for courses at the Ashburton Cookery School are made months in advance. It is therefore often hard for us to resell any places within 21 days of the start of the course date.
If you want to cancel your booking within 21 days of the start of your course we will relist your place for resale to other customers. If we are unable to resell your place in the time remaining, you will forfeit any course and accommodation fees associated with your booking.
If we are able to sell your place you will be entitled to a refund equal to the amount your place was resold for minus the Cancellation Fee. Payment will be made to you not less than 7 working days after we have received the cleared funds from the resale of your place
If you wish to transfer your booking to a future date, this will be at our discretion, including the dates offered and will be subject to the relevant Cancellation Fee. Your non-refundable credit (excluding the Cancellation Fee) will be transferred to your future booking. Any future course must be taken within 12 months of the start date of your original Course. You will be required to pay any difference between your credit and the cost of the future booking. Transfer of bookings may only be made once.
Cancellations by the Ashburton Cookery School
The School reserves the right to cancel any course at any time subject to the repayment of any deposit and fees received in respect of the course or the part of the course which has been cancelled.
If circumstances arise that are beyond our control, it may be necessary from time to time to change/cancel course dates, content, venues or prices from those published. In such cases we will be entitled to transfer your booking to the next available course or cancel the Course, or part thereof, at any time. No refund or part refund will be given and we will not be held liable for any costs/losses incurred as a result of such changes or cancellation.
We reserve the right to remove from any Course, students that fail to comply with the Academy’s standard practices and procedures. We reserve the right to refuse enrolments and/or suggest alternative arrangements if we believe that it will not be in the best interests of other students and/or the individual concerned to be enrolled on one of our courses.
In the event of a cancellation of a course by ourselves for reasons not outlined above or defined below in Force Majeure, we undertake to offer a suitable transfer to an alternative date or course, or a full refund (within 7 days) of any course fees. We cannot be held liable for any third-party costs, such as travel bookings or accommodation.
If the Cookery School is forced to close due to circumstances outside our control including but not limited to:-
- an act of God, (fire, flood, drought, earthquake, windstorm, explosion or other natural disaster);
- pandemic or epidemic;
- acts of terrorism;
- civil emergency (whether an emergency be declared or not);
- adverse weather conditions;
- under the order of any government or public or local authority; labour dispute including, but not limited to, strikes, industrial action, lockouts or boycott).
Students will be offered a course credit to the value of the element of the course that has to be cancelled, such credit will be valid for 12 months from the date the course was due to take place.
- No refund will be made if you fail to attend all or any part of the course.
- Refunds that are due will be made within 7 working days of approval.
- All refunds are made to the source of the initial payment, ie. fees paid by a credit card can only be refunded to the same card.
All gift vouchers are valid for 12 months from the purchase date.
Refunds are not available on gift voucher purchases, nor can Gift Vouchers be exchanged for cash or other goods. Gift vouchers are transferable, so if you are unable to make your course, you may contact us to nominate a replacement.